Sunday, March 01, 2009

one of those

Last week was one of those weeks at work.  Everything that could go wrong went wrong and everything that could be insane was insane.

Sadly, due to the confidential nature of many of the case facing us, I can't write in much detail.  Even by coming up with clever nicknames like "confused daddy" or "the inept one" I still can't write much.  I like my job and in this current climate, I sort of need it.  

But, I can say that sometimes just when I think humanity is at it's lowest, I am amazed by a human's capacity to love unconditionally.  Yes, that is unnecessarily obtuse.  But after a week where I saw or read some of the worst in people.  And questioned the decisions of people, it ended on possibly the happiest note possible.  

A family completed the adoption process of four children.  They are not Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.  They did not adopt their children from exotic lands.   This was a couple that was still putting their biological children through college.  

This was a couple like my parents.  Like most of my friend's parents.  A family that realized they had more love to give.  And could not say no to the adoption of all four children.  The kids range in age from first graders to not yet pre-schoolers.  The kids are beautiful and happy.  Most importantly, these children are loved.  

It's amazing to me that despite reading more and more about how horrible things are and the feeling that the world is slowly falling apart, this family opens up their heart and home.  There's a lesson here.  It doesn't matter how rough your life is. It doesn't matter how downright shitty it is - you can always do more to help others.  

I spend my Wednesday nights tutoring adults with Greater Hartford Literacy Volunteers.  And I bitch every Wednesday about how I don't want to go.  I want to stay home and drink wine and prepare for Lost.  I want to go out to dinner and talk about what might be happening on Lost that night.  I want to go to a Lost party and watch Lost.  (I have a wee obsession with the tv show.)   (oh and last week's episode had a moment that made me think of Rent and that was a great collision of sorts.)

But I go.  And it feels like I go out of an obligation.  Yet, I love it.  Even if we do no writing or reading and just spend our night talking about a news article discussing the first ever integrated prom at a Mississippi high school.  It's a great hour and a half.  

I guess what I'm trying to babble about here is the idea that we can always do more.  And I know I can do more.  I am not particularly good about going to Church, but one thing my very Catholic upbringing taught me is the idea that there is always someone else to help.  The idea that there is always more I can do.  

I feel more of a responsibility to live this out as I become an aunt to older children.  I think it's important to set an example.  When I talk to my now 12 year old niece about our responsibility to help people who need our help.  When I try to persuade my 10 year old nephew that he should give away one of his most prized toys.  

They are starting to get it.  They are starting to become little conscientious people and it's fantastic.  


No comments: