Sunday, March 08, 2009

Happy Daylight Savings

I was a little stunned when I woke up this morning.  I forgot it was Sunday and then I forgot it was Daylight Savings.  When I realized what it was, I got really excited.  I had to buy a new alarm clock a few years ago and it automatically updates for Daylight Savings.  And that's awesome in my opinion.  And yes, it takes very little to impress me at times.  

Not impressive of late, is Napoli.  The soccer team.  Not the city.  I have no opinion on the city in fact as I have yet to visit.  It's on my list.   My hope is to make it there next summer.  

But back to the soccer team.  S.S.C. Napoli.  I have been a fan since I can remember.  Sure, I've had mild flirtations with other teams.  There were those days as a kid when I was obsessed with the Toto Schilacci era Juventus.  And even a few years back I developed an obsession with Fiorentina and the beautiful Luca Toni.  But Napoli has always been my team.  Why?  Well, my dad is and therefore I am.  

I won't bore the few readers of this blog with the recent  history of the team.  But I will say that it appears Napoli has decided winning is not the thing to do in 2009.  A team that was ranked a surprising 4th after the first half of the 2008/2009 season has not won a game in this new year.  And the year, not that new anymore.  They play well, sure.  But, they're not winning.  A game is on right now in the background.  And it's a few minutes from the half and they are still tied.  Ties are good.  It's better than losing due to a last minute goal by the other team on a stupid mistake.  

It angers me.  Win a game!  Just one.  Because I'm convinced that's all you need.  I really think that when you remember how wonderful it feels to win, you will be thrilled by the experience and do it more often.  One game.  It would make me so happy.  And don't you want me to be happy?  (I know guilt is a cheap tactic, but they're an Italian team.  I was brought up to think guilt was the Italian way.)

Okay, that's out of my system.  

I feel better.

As for other matters, I realize I am not as regular a writer as I once hoped I would be.  I'm in what one could refer to as a "funk" lately.  I feel the need to do something drastic in order to move myself out of it. 

Drastic for me is probably not that drastic for others.  But I've been thinking a lot about my hair.  I sort of want to go to a hair salon and say - "Change it.  Make it different.  I want to be look different."  I've been really happy with my long hair.  But, I feel a need for a change in some aspect of my life.  And hair is so easy.  I'd like a more fit body, but that can't be accomplished over the course of one sunday afternoon.  New hair can be.  And then it grows back over the course of time and it's okay.  

I woke up with that feeling today.  It's ridiculous to say that one haircut can be responsible for the unfunking, but I think it can be a step.  Or something.  I don't know.  I used to do this all the time.  Wake up and decide it was time to chop my hair off.  And do it.  I've gotten less gutsy with my hair over time, but maybe it's just the simple step I need for right now. 

I'm not overly concerned with the funk being anything major.  I've decided I'm allowed to be in a funk for the next year.  I'm entitled.  But the funk is starting to interfere with work.  I spent too many hours this week reading articles about Napoli's inability to win games this year, Will Chase's extensive theater career and blog posts about anything.  None of those things have anything to do with work.  And that's a problem.  I have no problem with the occasional wasted day, but the frequency of them this week are a problem.  I've just been tired and out of it and without any desire for anything.  

And I think a simple hair cut may make me feel lighter and different.  Add a new perspective to my day.  

But for now I need to see what my boys can do in Naples.

No comments: