Sunday, February 01, 2009

I am an idiot

Last night I let my memory of delicious soup cloud my close inspection of ingredients. And have been wondering all day why my head started pounding out of no where and why my stomach has seen better days. (I'll spare you all graphic details.) But needless to say - the green chili and corn bisque at Au Bon Pain is not gluten free. I love that soup. It's ridiculously tasty. And instead of thinking - hey, don't people usually use flower in bisques? I thought, - yummm, what could go wrong with a corn based soup? Well, the answer to that is the past 24 hours.

If anything, this confirms that yes, boys and girls, I do have celiac disease. You know, in case I did not believe the blood test results, endoscopy results, and every other medical assessment. It amazes me how quickly I can feel the discomfort of eating something wrong. Usually however I just feel gross and bloated and my joints hurt. This time around, my stomach recoiled.

So, you know, maybe the illness is evolving. Or maybe I've been so careful for so long that last night's stupidity led to more profound symptoms.

Who the hell knows? All I know is that my favorite soup at Au Bon Pain is strictly off limits. Which, really is not the big a deal. I don't really go there that often. Last night was a fluke. I had a shopping excursion with two middle schooled age girls and we needed quick eats before going home. I should have copied my niece and had a smoothie.

No comments: