Tuesday, March 16, 2010

while the boss is away ...

I avoid doing real work. Also, it's so so so so nice outside. I need to be back in the sunshine. When I went out earlier I was instantly in an excellent mood. Not that I'm necessarily in a bad mood now, but outside playing in the sun listening to She & Him and Shout Out Louds I was in a much better mood.

It's hard to motivate for work when there are so many other things I could be doing on a day like today. I could be taking apart this skirt I'm wearing for instance and preparing to make another in a different color. I could just take my camera for a walk through my city. (I do want a springtime picture of the carousel.) I could go stand outside the bank and beg for them to make a decision. I could practice drawing elephants.

Instead I'm stuck at work.

And for some reason I'm nostalgic right now. And it makes me a little sad. It's the sort of nostalgia that makes you wonder why you are the way you are. It just pops up out of no where. Or maybe a certain song pops in your head and said song makes you remember a certain time in your life. I blame today's nostalgia on the cooped up nature of my work. I also blame the beauty that is today and the teenage boy riding his skateboard in the parking lot of the coffee shop I go. And while we are blaming, let's blame the onerous file to the left of me that I don't want to address but I have to address.

Instead of addressing it, I look for YouTube videos. YouTube is absolutely amazing. You can find anything. Like the video posted below.

This one reminds me of college. I was forced to watch it a lot. At around the 4:10 mark, Jason Lee sings the cutest song ever. That would be the song that just popped in my head while I rifled through some file cabinets today looking for the onerous file. Or part of the file that has no disappeared. [Don't worry, Team P--- I found it.]

However, when I say I was forced to watch the video let me be honest. Let me describe the conversation.
boy: Hey wanna watch that Jason Lee video? (insert title of random video)
me: Is that the one where he sings that cute little song?
boy: Nope it's a different one, but just as awesome.
me: Okay. Does he sing a cute little song?
boy: No. He skates. He's Jason Lee. Before he was Brodie, he was a skater.
me: Oh, so no new cute little song then?
boy: No.
me: Oh.
[pause ... followed by silence ...]

boy: Wanna watch the Jason Lee video where he sings that song that's pretty funny?
me: If you want.

[Yes, I am a brat.]



I love it. In defense of my brattiness (also, this was during a very bizarre klepto phase. Buy me a drink and I'll tell you the tale) I did have to endure a whole heckuva lot of "hey watch me skate" and "hey, sure I'll walk you home, but only if I can climb every single tree on the way there" and "look at the giant cut on my knee. Soooo much blood."

[please refrain from commenting on the boys of my past]

Searching for that video, led to me looking for my favorite Jason Lee scene from Mallrats. (How much do I love Kevin Smith for this Whalers reference?)



Yes. You're welcome.

No comments: