Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring

Today is a decidedly dreary day. It's rainy but not really raining. It's grey. It's chilly on my bare legs. The sky is white.

Yet, all I can see in my office is sunshine. And flowers. In particular, pink and yellow gerber daisies. I am thinking of swirling skirts. And ruffley t-shirts. And sandals. And barefeet on grass.

I'm not on my way to a vacation. I'm not planning a pretty getaway. No mini-breaks on the horizon. Hell, my moving date isn't even finalized.

But I am listening to She & Him. Hot damn, if this music doesn't scream springtime awesome to me everytime I put it on. I remember when I first heard Volume One. It was around Easter. My mom heard it in the car with me one day and was tapping her toes to the music. My nieces liked singing along to it. When I listened, I wanted to dress a certain way. It just made me smile.

Volume Two was released today and it causes the same reaction. I'm fairly certain if my mom was here she would be humming along with the chorus of "Gonna Get Along Without You." It's that catchy.

The whole album is like discovering a secret stash of the world's greatest gluten free cupcakes. It's sweet. It's happy. And it reminds you of innocent days. When I'm listening to Zooey sing I feel like nothing can really go bad. There is such promise in the sound.

It's only fitting that this album comes out at a time when so much change is happening in my life. If all the final steps go according to my hopes and plans, I will own my beloved flat in the center of town within a month and be hopefully all moved in within the next two. It looks like job opportunities are more available then previously imagined. And I've decided that I like the changes I'm making to my personality. I'm slowly becoming that person I know I want to be.

Apparently, sometimes, you just need to tell yourself to be happy. And while it doesn't create the happy immediately it does create a mindset that allows the happy to enter. I used to want to settle for content. Being content with how things are. Lately that hasn't been enough. Maybe when I accepted my role as caretaker for my mom, content was enough. Now I just want to be happy.

I want to feel the way She & Him makes me feel when I listen. I feel happy. I smile. I feel energy.




Enjoy:

No comments: