Monday, December 29, 2008

The 2008 Year in Review

So, last year Jacqueline started this trend on her myspace blog. Then Jess copied her. Then I copied. Jess brought it back this year. And I copied.

Yes, I am a lemming. But I am breaking trend in that I am not doing this in the third person.

Song of the year:

  • “No No No N0” Mate of State
  • “Sweet Darlin'” She & Him
  • “Magick" Ryan Adams
  • The soundtrack to Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog

And the winner is: Unlike last year - I think these songs actually were all released this year. As much as I adore Ryan Adams and fell in love with She & Him and I do like screaming "No, No, No" over and over again - there is no choice that the winner is Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog. I reference a lyric every day. Hell, look at the name of this blog. There really should just be one nominee. But I wanted to be fair.

Show of the year:

  • Neko Case at the Calvin Theater in Northampton
  • Isabella playing at the Bushnell
  • She & Him at the Academy of Music
  • Luch and Vinnie Rocking out in the basement like it was 1985 again
And the winner is: Ummm.. I feel like there are some missing here - but these were probably the best. The winner is She & Him. Even with the wierd opening act. I did not stop smiling for almost the entire hour.

Movie of the Year:

  • The Dark Knight
  • Tropic Thunder
  • Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog
  • Iron Man

And the winner is: Hands down, The Dark Knight. I love Dr. Horrible (again the title of this blog) but I was giddy with anticipation for the Dark Knight for the past year. And it fulfilled my expectations. I sat there dumbfounded and amazed the entire time. Even the annoying Bat voice didn't bring me down.

TV Show/Episode/Moment of the Year:
  • Lost - the scene where Jin dies. You know the one. Sun screaming in the helicopter.
  • Mad Men - the whole shebang
  • 30 Rock - The Subway hero episode.
  • How I Met Your Mother - The Bracket.
  • Dr. Who - The Library episodes

And the winner is: I inserted this category because I watch a lot of TV. Probably too much. But, I thought it was another fun thing to think about. I left out a lot. That scene in the season finale of Battlestar Galactica when they discover Earth. Saturday Night Live and Tina Fey. Wondering if Keith Olbermann might explode on MSNBC. But, the most amazing thing I watched all year was Mad Men. I loved my Sunday nights. I could not wait for the next episode each week and each week I fell in love with the women of that show.


Book of the Year:

  • The Twilight series
  • Things the Grandchildren Should Know by Mark Oliver Everett
  • Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn
  • Gluten Free Girl by Shauna James Ahern
And the winner is: A lot of my life was sucked away due to Twilight (get it - sucked away) but Things the Grandchildren Should Know should have made me fall apart when I read it - but it made me laugh, smile, and I could not stop reading it. I highly recommend it if you want to feel inspired and just enjoy a good story. Life-changing, I don't know. But something definitely happened.

Work Accomplishment of the Year:

  • Judge Lawlor knowing my name
  • The May CAPC meeting that was awesome even with drama
  • Shutting the door

And the winner is: This is really hard. One of my New Year resolutions for 2008 was to have the Judge know my name, but then he resigned. I hope there is no correlation. But I think the May CAPC meeting takes it by a hair. There was drama. I have new nicknames for people. And I think I rocked it. If you want to full story - by me a gimlet and we can discuss.

Saying of the Year:

  • Everything said in Maine. Favorites include "I'll just wait for him to pull out" and "I just want to get higher."
  • What's a Virgin? - Tessa asking her grandmother.
  • There was pervasive damage to your intestinal villi. - Dr. Wu
  • "You'll always be 26" - Dave aka Aiden aka Adrien aka He Who Shall Not Be Named

And the winner is: "Pervasive damage” takes the gluten free cake. After those few words I had to transform the way I live and eat and think. It was a tough and interesting adjustment that is still ongoing.

Sports Moment of the Year:

  • Napoli briefing sitting atop Serie A.
  • Being happy that I won't be forced to watch the Superbowl in 2009 because none of the teams either of my brothers support is involved.
  • the Wii Fit Christmas Day snowboarding competition.

And the winner is: Ummm... Napoli sitting atop Serie A was really nice, but I just can't get into American football so not having to hear about the Superbowl next year is soooo awesome.

Meal Experience of the Year:

  • Everything at Kripalu - but specifically that one night of the neverending dinner
  • The first gluten free cupcake
  • The pasta the first night at Emery's in Maine
  • Dinner in Little Brazil after Rent

And the winner is: All great experiences and wonderful in their own way. But Kripalu wins. It was my first week of eating entirely gluten free and it was sooo damn good and clean.

Best Supporting Actor in a Chick Lit/Flick Comedy:

  • Jacqueline and Jess
  • Dave a.k.a Adrien a.k.a Aiden a.k.a. He Who Shall Not Be Named
  • The Starbucks crew
  • Team Paul

And the winner is: Ummm... Two repeat nominees. Two new ones. But I'm just gonna go with Team Paul because, well Team Paul. I called him a girl. I've called him my candidate for hope and change. I, yeah... I have issues.

Best Scene in a Chick Lit/Flick Comedy:

  • Calling Team Paul a girl
  • The Maine trip
  • "So, my band opened up for Hanson."

And the winner is: Hanson? Really? Anyway, I think the best scene is calling Team Paul a girl. I mean, I called him a girl.

Storyline of the Year:

  • Fist pounding declaration of the year of me
  • Starbucks Girls
  • My mom

Moment of the Year:

  • October 8, 2008, 5 pm, St. Francis Hospital

And the winner is:

These two categories are together for one simple reason - there was no other storyline or moment this year that meant anything more to me. I've tried to keep this list comical and happy, but those of you who know me - know that it is not a comical and happy time. I've struggled the past few months and I know I will survive and as the cliche goes, probably emerge stronger from the ashes. But, watching my mother breathe her last breath took a lot out of me. I've over compensated a bit in order to survive the holidays, but I won't lie - it's been really, really hard.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to 2009 is sublime.

No comments: