Monday, August 17, 2009

10 THINGS I MISS MOST SINCE GOING GLUTEN FREE

It's been a year and 12 days since I received my official celiac disease diagnosis. While it's been difficult and I'm still trying to figure out what I can eat and not eat and what exactly is still bothering me (bye bye soy milk), I would never want to go back. Here is what I wrote then.

And most of it holds true. I think I have a fairly good attitude about it. Usually. Oh I whine. Oh I make a point of pointing out how difficult it is for me. But for the most part I try to be upbeat about it. So I have to order really differently at restaurants. And maybe it's not the easiest to visit someone (who is not already living a gluten free life). But if giving up gluten means I won't have horrible stomach pains anymore and I stand a better chance of not having the massive health issues my entirely family appears to be plagued with, then adios gluten.

BUT, there are 10 things I miss since starting this lifestyle.

  1. Italian bakeries. Bye bye sfogliatelle, pasticiotti, and cannolis. I did however learn to make gluten free pizzelles this weekend. See for yourself.
  2. Being able to run out to the local cafe and order a sandwich.
  3. Not having to call every restaurant before heading out to see what they're gluten free options are.
  4. A good loaf of fresh baked bread. I'm still trying to make this happen.
  5. Having a beer at a sporting event. The sangria just isn't the same.
  6. Pretzels. (But when in the city and in need of a quick snack, cashews are a good substitution.)
  7. Going out for pizza.
  8. Not having to worry about cross-contamination.
  9. Cornmeal bagels from that place in Elmwood.
  10. Um... Honestly. I can't actually come up with a tenth. And really #9 was sort of a stretch.
I do miss these things. But again, I will eventually adjust. Or figure out how to make an excellent gluten free option. Not just a "decent" gluten free option. Seriously, can anyone make gluten free phyllo dough?

No comments: