Sunday, January 11, 2009

Not a decider

I don't like having to make decisions. It's not a bright line dislike. Some decisons I don't mind making. Such as deciding to chop off my hair. Or spending $200 on a pair of green heels. Or buying the entire series of Angel on dvd.

These are decisions I have no problem making.

But then are those other decisions.

The ones you rumble with all day. The ones that aren't even that important, but have consumed all of your thinking. Yeah - those decisions I can't make. I tend to research the hell out of them.

Right now I'm rumbling with the decision of whether or not to buy a new computer. I love my iMac. I've had it for 4.5 years. It still works pretty well. But there are a few things. There's not a lot of RAM, the OS is 4 years old, the hard drive does not have that much space. I made the mistake of walking into the apple store last night and playing with a new MacBook. I asked some questions and it's probably feasible for me to increase the RAM and upgrade the OS on my iMac for under $300. That is fiscally responsible. I am not sure about the upgrading of the hard drive yet. I didn't think of that question until today.

And well, did I mention that I played with the new MacBook?

So, my decision making is now muddled with shiny new computer versus frugality in difficult times.

I am ignoring thinking about it right now. I'm watching the Golden Globes. I'm a sucker for awards shows. I love it. I have spent many a run planning my awards acceptance speech in my head to get me through. It's fun. It's a good way to power through a hill.

And in what might become a routine post on my part - a gluten free baking adventure. I baked some bread and I think it was my best yet. I used the Bob's Red Mill Wonderful Homemade Bread. It's a mix based on garbanzo beans and while that doesn't sound entirely tasty - let me assure you it is (if you are not opposed to the bean taste.) I used the gluten free setting on my breadmaker and tried a few new suggestions from my dad. He bakes amazing bread (with gluten) and taught himself after my mom fell ill. I asked him how he preps the yeast and he suggested warming up the liquid more than I had been. He was very wary with the fact that the gluten free setting did not have a rising section - but that's the way without gluten. With no gluten, there's no need for the dough to rise for hours. It's not getting any higher. Anyway, this excites me. Bread that sort of looks like regular bread.

From January 2008 album

No comments: